Discover Vallon Pont d’Arc by canoe
During your camping holiday in the South Ardèche, you can’t miss the Pont d’Arc. A symbol of the Ardèche, you can admire this natural arch in several ways, the most beautiful of which is certainly a canoe trip down the Ardèche.
The Pont d’Arc by canoe, a must-see
A natural bridge located in the Ardèche near Vallon-Pont-d’Arc, the Pont d’Arc is the gateway to the Ardèche gorges and their nature reserve. It is 59 metres long and stands 54 metres above the water. This spectacular size makes it unique in the world. Another particularity is that it passes over the Ardèche, the river that dug it long ago and is still active. It is one of the emblems of the rich nature of the Ardèche and the history of the region, and attracts the curiosity of many tourists who come to Vallon Pont d’Arc to canoe especially to see it, and also make a diversion to the Pont d’Arc cave during their holidays in the Ardèche.
Canoe rental in Vallon Pont d’Arc
There are several spectacular views of the Pont d’Arc and the Ardèche Gorge along the scenic route, including the Pont d’Arc lookout. From Vallon-Pont-d’Arc to Aiguèze, the road is superb and allows you to discover the gorges from above. It is also possible to swim near the Pont d’Arc on a pretty little sandy beach. Swimming is supervised in summer, so take advantage of it!
But the favourite activity is undoubtedly passing under the Pont d’Arc in a canoe or kayak, the most popular nature sports. This is really the way to get a feel for the impressive nature of the arch. Many companies offer canoe hire to take you down the Ardèche and under the Pont d’Arc. Most of them offer canoe rental in Vallon-Pont-d’Arc. To go down the river, you must be at least 7 years old and know how to swim. We present here our top 3 canoe and kayak rental companies to discover the Pont d’Arc.
- Castor Canoë offers several formulas according to your desires, from a small descent of 7 kilometres to see the arch to a large descent of the gorges in one or two days. For the small descent, the rates in high season are 25€ per adult and 15€ per child (7 to 15 years old), 12,50€ in third place (without paddle). Before you leave you will be given advice and you will be lent a waterproof canister and a life jacket..
- La Petite Mer offers different routes from Vallon-Pont-d’Arc or Sampzon for a half-day, full-day or 2-day descent. The mini descent of 8 kilometres costs 19€ per adult, 14€ per child (7 to 15 years old), 10€ in the central square. Included in the price are wetsuits, life jackets, waterproof canisters, coffee and soft drinks.
- Rivière et Nature also offers different courses and also adventure packs, combining 2 courses to be done in 2 days. The “Pont d’Arc” course by canoe or kayak is priced at 24€ per adult and 15€ per child (7 to 14 years old), 10€ in third place. Everything you need is provided. Please note that it is more advantageous to book on the internet.
- Some advice for your canoe trip on the Ardèche: wear clothes adapted to the weather and the sport. If it’s hot, don’t forget your sunglasses, a cap or a hat. Take sun cream, a swimming costume if you want to swim, water and a picnic for day trips..
- Located only 30 minutes from the campsite, the Pont d’Arc is truly the place to be during your stay in the Ardèche. Don’t miss a visit to the Chauvet 2 cave, an exact replica of the incredible prehistoric cave near the Pont d’Arc in the Ardèche! And to visit the southern Ardèche, you can also canoe along its many other rivers!